Sunday, March 22, 2009

Version 1.14 : putting an end to the hyper-inflation

/edit : upgraded to 1.14.1 due to a major bug introduced in the previous release...

As you may have seen this week, the overall population has grown to a point where it became very slow. It would be ok if the increasing size came with an increased complexity of the players, but it was not the case. What happened was that, to strengthen some connections, the neural network made additionnal connections between neurons instead of increasing the weigth of the existing connection. It led to a neural network where connections where duplicated up to 10 000 times. I think it happened on the 9x9 program because of the limited number of neurons and goban input, which makes duplicating connections more easy. I have added a cleaning function to the program, removing those extra connections and replacing them with one strong connection.


It works far better now, at least on my computers.

I won't be able to deliver a linux version though, I tried to make some cleaning in my project I can't get it back to a working version. I am currently working on adapting the whole thing to GTP, using GnuGo functions for go rules enforcement and scoring. It will be far easier to maintain when it will work, and will bring many interesting functionalities.

However, for the moment, here is what I suggest :
  • for windows users, download the new program and run it as usual : Goia 9x9 1.14.1 for Windows.
  • for linux users, probably the most effective way of running the program will be to erase every players on your local drive, and continue running 1.13. As long as there is enough windows client running in parallel, the players will be cleaned regularly and there should not be the same kind of inflation as we saw last week. I hope I will be able to realease a GTP version in two weeks from now, and this one will be rather easy to compile for linux.

No comments:

Post a Comment