Thursday, February 12, 2009

GOIA : What for ?

Welcome on my blog. Before I enter the real subject, let me introduce myself and the reasons I created this blog.

My name is Ernest Galbrun. I was once a physicist, I graduated as a doctor es fluid mecanics a few months ago. Science is my passion, but I officially turned my back on scientific research, and I am now project leader in optic engineering, doing mostly computer programs and elctronic devices.

The present project has stemed from various readings, especially from the Dawkins-Dennett team, among other great contemporary and past thinkers. I, like many others before, have been wondering for long how we could use the principle of evolution through natural selection to create something bigger than ourselves. There have been many succesful attempts in the past to use this principle in order to show that interesting properties can emerge from a simple set of rules carefully chosen. So far, though, only minor practical goals have been achieved with this methods, goals that can rather easily be achieved with clever design.

My intent is not to prove that natural selection is a powerful tool. That has been done already. I want to use that tool and beat every Intelligent Designer who tried before on a task where they are clearly better than I am. So I have chosen to try evolvin AI playing one of the most difficult game for computers to play, which is go game. I think go is the battlefield of choice for such an experiment, because of its combined properties of being utterly simple to play and very difficult to play well. At least for us poor human beings.

I will use this blog to describe the evolution of my artificial go players, and to explain the work I have done. Every one is invited to participate if they wish to share some of their computer power evolving a small population, and of course if they would like to help me improve my program.

No comments:

Post a Comment